Pages

Sunday, 17 July 2011

Going round the bend

Throughout your life you get highs and lows.  There are times when you say to yourself  "What the hell!!!" but then, to balance it all out there are the times when something happens and you say "Fuck me...that was brilliant". Some days you get one or the other, Thursday I got both.

Firstly my Girlfriend's bike was stolen from Warrington Central station.  The "Ultra mega guard" bullshit bikelock which, I must add cost £50 proved to be no obstacle to the shitbag and his lock cutter as he managed to defeat it and ride the bike away from the platform in under 4 minutes, just 25 minutes before my Girlfriend arrived back from Manchester.


Wire the bike to the mains..it's the only proper deterrent.
 The station security guard was actually watching him on CCTV, along with his overweight collegues in a basement control room and was following him right up to the point he cut through the lock and gayley rode away.

When my GF reported the theft to them they mentioned to her that  "he was acting suspiciously" around the platform and when he stopped by her bike, rummaged in his coat then went to work on it they figured that he "Must be nicking it".  Wow, their intelligence and dilligence really paid off there.

Nice to know that even though the camera system at the newley refurbished station is very good, you will still be a victim of crime.  Obviously it's there just to add a tick in the box or the guards are just so fat that they can't stand up quick enough without passing out

I have a suggestion, how about manning the disabled exit which this scumbag used to escape through or why not patrol the platform instead of sitting inside your glass bubble all day long eating doughnuts and scouling at the public.

Hitting the boards

Anyway, with a Ying there is a Yang and on the very same day I joined The NCC at the National Cycling Centre for a free track session.  Earlier in the year the North Cheshire Clarion had taken part in a competition, organised by Soreen, to generate calories by cycling.  Not road cycling though, just static, in the middle of the Manchester cycling centre.  Each rider being monitored for workload..etc.  To cut a long story short we won and the prize was a shit load of Soreen - some of which is festering away in my freezer at this very moment - and two track sessions at the Velodrome.

Located in East Manchester, the National cycling centre was built primarily for the 2002 Commonwealth games and is located in an area called "Sportcity" which is a bit of a misnomer as there are only three sporting venues there, The cycling centre, Manchester city football club and Asda, the latter being the chosen arena for local chav shoplifters and bargain hunters.

"Keep on Peddling"
The outside of the Velodrome looks like your typical run of the mill sportscentre, albeit not teeming with Yoofs,  however stepping inside was like stepping into the inner sanctum of cycling.  I felt like a Catholic entering the Vatican for the first time to kiss the Pope's ring.  Truly a religious experience of sorts.

I arrived slightly early so asked a young looking guy behind the reception desk about the NCC session. He looked at me blankly. Then said I could just hang around the viewing area upstairs to wait for everyone else.

"Can I take photos" I asked him

"Sure but you'll need to fill out this form".  He handed me a photocopied piece of paper which asked me to sign that I wasn't a paedophile and that I would ask permission of anyone I photographed and that any photographs I did take wouldn't be used to make the staff or centre look bad. Sounded fair, so after signing it he directed me to a rickety old lift which would take me up to the arena.

Custom Dolan Track bikes..Amazing

A few seconds later and I was on the main viewing concourse. Wow, the arena looked huge. Another group were already on it, zipping around at speed, chatting to each other as they zoomed past.  There was even a tandem track bike on it ..

I remember watching this place on TV, however now the centre of the track was a badminton court instead of being filled with track cyclists.

Back to School

At ten to eight we all kitted up and entered the trackside to take part in our very own track session.  Under the instructions of two coaches we were to learn basic track skills and have a chance at riding around this prestigious venue. Sounded like fun...however for some reason I was pretty nervous about it all.

"Choose your weapon"

Firstly, the bike scared me.  It was fixed wheel, had a different cleat system to what I was used to and it had no brakes.  This was a track bike.  None of the comforts of the road bike were to be seen.

The seat was higher and the dropbars lower than I was used to. I looked at the tyres, thin slivers of rubber which apparently, or so the coach told us, would keep you up there as long as you didn't stop peddling.
 
The experienced NCCer's zipped past us as we all sat there listening to the initial brief.  Then we were given the off.  This bit was bloody scary and as I pushed off from the fence and started to pick up speed it was evident that this bike wasn't going to let me freewheel.

 As I rounded the first bend my knuckles were white, the death grip on the bars I had developed was getting stronger.  It took a few laps to get used to it but boy was it odd.  I felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again.


Getting ready

For the next two hours we performed basic track skills, timed laps and free for all sessions.  Some sessions involved crossing the track up and down to help you control the speed of the bike and other bits involved some cones and some tricky low speed manouvering.

As the session progressed the confidence was building and it wasn't long before I was riding around the banked sections, however during one lap I managed to trap a testicle between my padding and the seat.  Painfull to say the least and on the road I would have simply freewheeled, stood up and "Re-arranged" myself.  I tried this tactic on the track bike and, let's just say it didn't go to plan.

The rear wheel immediately let me know that freewheeling wasn't an option and like a child labourer not doing his or her job properly, I got a whack on the legs.  I realised that I would have to make sure that next time I was "In alignment" before I set off.

Get out of the way.....

Riding on the track felt amazing, liberating and cathartic all at the same time.  After a while, the thought of having no brakes no longer bothered me and controlling the bike started to become second nature.  This was just fantastic. No cars, no idiot pedestrians just a wide open track.  As I started to pick up speed the still stadium air was suddenly a raging wind. I started passing people, then crossing different lines on the track...and then....


Time trials...

Two NCC riders were leaving the track ahead and I was zooming up behind them. Again I attempted to freewheel to loose some speed and again the bike scolded me.

Ahh...I'll pedal slower...but that wasn't shaving off enough speed and I would be crashing into them before I was slow enough.  So there was only one thing for it, hammer it.  I pushed down hard on the pedals and accelerated, my only choice now was to go higher up the bank.   I think I rode around the blue line,  as I hit the steep bank I prayed that those thin tyres would hold me up.

All good things

As with most enjoyable events, the two hours zoomed by and we were soon told that our time was up.  Coming to a halt I unclipped and stored the bike back in its rack.  What a fantastic evening and thanks to the NCC guys winning the competition I had the chance to sample what riding on a track was like.  Great fun and I think I'm gonna go back.



Washout

So this weekend I was planning on getting more cycling in, however the typical British weather had other plans and Saturday and Sunday consisted of torrential downpours and flooded roads.  I decided against it, instead opting for a nice walk...which was also abandonded due to heavy rain....This weather really is beginning to send me potty.

So, looks like I'll be hitting the gym all week because the rain is supposed to persist.  Next weekend I'm doing the Cheshire Plains and Peaks sportive which looks great fun.  I just hope the weather is going to be kind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment