Pages

Thursday, 6 October 2011

Goodbye Summer.....

The week started so good.  Almost like a repeat of last week the Sun was out.  Mornings were crisp yet not too cold.  There was no wind and no rain.  Pure joy.  My Trek 7700 - which is a lovely bike by the way - cruised along the country lanes.  It's chunky 700x38c tyres buzzing away.

However, by Wednesday someone flicked a switch.  The Sun was gone, replaced by dark grey clouds and there was a strange wind which would always be a headwind.  As I left work last night I was also caught up in the first rain for ages.  The dead cat bounce of Summer was over....

This morning I left the house in gusty conditions and rain.  I had unpacked my rain gear from storage and had decided the night before to wear it.  And boy was that a good idea.  It was cold this morning and bloody windy.  I was battered by a horrid headwind on the way up to Hatton and it continued to be a headwind until Daresbury.  Thank the gods for Mountain bike gearing.

The dry tarmac I had enjoyed for weeks was now covered with the usual Autumnal detritus.  A slippery, greasy carpet of fallen leaves and cowshit.  My CAAD9 is now well and truly off the commuting roster now mainly due to the lack of lights and also my dislike of cleaning a white bike every day.  Besides, I going to be doing the Whitehaven to Sunderland Coast to Coast route in a few weeks so need to get the miles in on the Trek.

Inventor....Visionary?


Also Steve Jobs of Apple died today.  I don't usually feel sadness for celebs when they exit stage right but with this guy it was different.  Jobs transformed the personal computer market and revolutionised the MP3 player.  Ever since the Apple II and the Macintosh, Jobs was always an innovator and I feel our lives have been enriched by his...even though it was so short.

Shame about the IPhone 4S though.


RIP Steve Jobs


0 comments:

Post a Comment