Unlike last weekend, this morning was sunny and dry with so I decided to leave my mudguards at home and set off from the house up London road to meet up with the other riders. At 9am, the six strong group set off from the Spire hospital layby and headed South down the A559.
For the next 30 miles nothing untoward happened. We were keeping a very fast pace and the group was super tight. Well led by Graham with signals being passed down the small peleton as we ate up the miles. We did have a chilly headwind thoug which made some of the ride a bit heavy, however we kept up a good speed due to keeping on the main A roads. And it wasn't long before we could see our nemesis in the distance. The imposing structure of the folly perched atop the legendary Mow cop. We rounded a bend and caught a glimpse of the road rising up on the hill. I had driven up this road before and knew it was steep. Seeing it from this distance reinforced the image I had in my head of a near vertical climb.
![]() |
| Obviously the chance you have in actually climbing it |
"Bloody hell" came one shocked gasp from the group
"Is that it....." said another...
"Yes" came the reply. For the next 10 miles we were all silent. Probably praying...or maybe eating.....
The Climb
As we got closer you could really tell how steep this was going to be. Every now and again we would meet riders coming back the other way. Hmmm, obviously they had ridden down it. They passed us smiling and staring at us as if they knew something we didn't. I was expecting to see a broken sign with the words abandon all hope..... alas...
![]() |
| Graham using Climb tactic #221 - The weave |
We reached the level crossing and hit the first climb. This wasn't that bad, surely this couldn't be the Mow cop that everyone had been going on about. Then a turn in the road and another climb. This time I had to change into my smaller ring. I could hear everyone elses gears shift eagerly into another easy cog.
Another corner, now steeper, another cog, more climbing and another corner. Then I saw a layby and like an idiot stopped. I don't know why I did, I guess maybe I wanted to take a photo of the other guys coming up behind, but for some reason a voice in my head just said "Hey, chill out, just stop here....." . Noooooo, I was beginning to talk myself out of doing this climb. I clipped back in and started climbing again.
How Steep!
Up and up the road went. Graham employed his hill climbing tactic of weaving around on the road. This did infact work as I found out. They say imitation is the best form of flattery, he should be flattered. As we rounded the final corner to the last part of the climb I could see, just up the road, the 25% climb. This one in four killer looked every bit as menacing as all the forums, newgroups and magazines said it would be. An old couple out for a nice Sunday walk gave us a cheer and a comment about us giving them a tow row to help them walk up it. For this part I was humourless and I gave them a cursory glance.
![]() |
| Determined to get up it.. |
My legs started to burn. Dave, the ride leader and owner of the infinite ratio Roholf was already at the top. I glanced down at my Garmin and noticed my heart rate at 185 and climbing. I couldn't catch my breath so stopped.
As I composed myself I looked back, what a view. Even though this climb was painfull just looking at the whole of Cheshire and beyond totally made up for it. I looked up at the 25% sign and sighed. Then I clipped in a pedal and pushed off up the final, almost vertical wall that loomed ahead.
This is when it got a bit weird. Usually, with every up and down stroke of the pedals your bike goes forward a bit. However, what was happening here was that I pushed down and the bike moved up a bit then stopped until the other pedal was pushed down. No inertia at all. I unclipped on foot and precariously pushed down with it. I knew that If I didn't I wouldn't have enough time to bail before hitting the deck.
Pistons
One, two, One, two. My legs pounded up and down like a slave masters drum. It was getting harder and harder to pedal up. I had no more cogs to slip my chain onto. I leant forward and stood up and used every fibre in my legs to get the bike up. I reached the pub and quit. For the remaining 100 metres I walked. Mow copy had won and defeated me. Three out of six managed to cycle all the way up, a great achieve ment considering only one person had actually every ridden up it before. We waited at the top for everyone to regroup. Phew, that hill was a fucking bastard.
![]() |
| Phew...we did it. |
Dave, the teacher, decided that enough was enough and left us at the top. He didn't feel to good so bid farewell and rode off. We were now five. We rode up the final few hundred meters and started our descent down to Congleton and our half way stop and the Country rose cafe.
This downhill section was, quite simply exhilarating. The road snaked left, then right and the speed was just breathtaking. A great reward for a killer climb. We were now on the return ride however first, it was cafe stop time and time for cake and coffee.
Break
![]() |
| Time for Cake |
![]() |
| Small portions...but still tasty |
More climbing
After 30 minutes we left and within a few miles encountered our next climb of Blacky bank and Bridestones. Neither of which, especially after the horrendous Mow cop, were that bad. I got out of the saddle and climbed them with ease. It was obvious that the sugar from the cake was kicking in...excellent.
We soon reached the Cloud and the final major fast downhill. As they say, what goes up must come down and boy did we come down on this one. The sun was shining, there was blue sky, no wind and we were racing down a hill. This was what the bike was invented for and was great fun.
Pot head
The next 20 miles was at a race pace. The group was again tight and everyone was having fun. Then..........bang. Nick shouted " Puncture!". The road was pitted with potholes and cracks. Nick's tyres had hit one at speed and blew. Just 10 minutes from the end....Unlucky.
The tyre was off in no time. Nothing had penetrated the tyre, so the pothole had obviously done its job very well.
![]() |
| Blown out |
Today was a fantastic ride. The weather was great, the scenery fantastic and it was a really good group to be in. I finally encountered the hill everyone was talking about and now know there will be no way for me to do the 25%, not on my cassette. However every other climb should be a doddle.
Next weekend I shall be at a beer festival on the Saturday, so I think that Sunday's ride might not be a good idea.
Here are my ride stats for today.







0 comments:
Post a Comment