At 8:15 I left the house and cycled to the A49, here I would just follow it through Warrington, past Tescos and over the M62. God was it chilly this morning. Stopping at the numerous traffic lights was ok, the air was warm but moving, that was a different story. I kept thinking whether or not I should turn around and get my winter gear.. nah it would be ok.
Zombie Apocalypse
The ride up to the start point was amazing. The roads were empty, no cars whatsoever. The whole urban landscape looked as if something bad had happened in the night and everyone was dead. I was alone, pedalling along on roads that were usually chocablock. It definiately resembled some sort of zombi apocalypse because every now and again I would pass stumbling haggered looking people, obviously still drunk from the night before, walking home from whatever alcohol fuelled adventure they had been involved in. It was like encountering the walking dead.
![]() |
| Typical Warrington clubbers |
At 8:35 I pulled into the Swan car park and met the Ex Jocky Steve who was sat in his van and we chatted and waited for everyone else to turn up. This place was deserted, all the sane people still in bed. At five to nine 10 riders had arrived and were ready. Anthony, the ride leader, gave the customary pre ride briefing and we all set off together just as the Sun broke through the grey clouds. Looks like today was going to be very nice indeed.
Goodbye clouds, Hello hills
Todays ride would take us out towards Horwich and then around Winter Hill and up towards Rivington then down to the Cafe stop. To say that this ride would be flat would be an understatement. Indeed, Anthony said in his briefing that "We can expect just long drags up". He wasn't wrong there. The climb through Horwich brought back flashbacks of the climb up through Denbigh during my Northwich to Llanberis ride. By now the clouds had all but gone and was replaced with blue sky and a hot sun. This turned the climbing into a sweat fest and it wasn't long before my eyes started stinging from the salty sweat.
As I ground away up the hill Nick passed me, his legs spinning wildly - obviously on his dinnerplate cog - as he grew level with me he told me that he had some creme eggs with him. I thought what a nice man, with Easter and all. I powered on after him. We reached the end of the long drag up and this gave us all a chance have a little break whilst we waited for the stragglers. It was only when Nick stuffed a tasty chocolately egg into his mouth did I realise that he had one egg. Dissapointment set in. Bah!
![]() |
| Not at the top yet :( |
Telly
To our left we could see the TV transmitter tower on top of Winter hill. Our goal was to skirt around it, not climb it, yet it felt as if we were. I'd never been this close to it before and had only ever seen it from a distance.
It looked bloody huge, strange to think all our Television comes from it.
The road now snaked its way around the the hill, past numerous reservoirs and small communities, plus lots of quaint churches and chapels. All of them teeming with well dressed locals, all attending Easter services and all leaving for home and their Easter sunday roasts.
The climbing continued up via Rivington road and past the almost depleted Wards reservoir. Horrid climb up but manageable. You just selected the easiest gear and kept at it, modulating your climbing with standing and sitting. My legs began to burn as we continued up and up across the hilly moors. At the summit we were all rewarded by a fantastic view over a hazy expansive landscape blanketed in Sunshine and clear blue sky... great stuff. From here was a fast downhill to cake and coffee.
Time travel
I've been to some nice cafes since joining the North Cheshire Clarion. But this place has just become my number one. Even better than the Lavender tea rooms at Dunham...yes....Really. Housed in an old church hall, the Village Green tea rooms are essentially a gateway to another era. 1950's England to be exact. Given that its halfway down a fast descent you could easily just zoom past it. Which would be a shame because you wouldn't want to miss this.
![]() |
| Back to the Future |
As you enter you know this place is special. The air is filled with the music from a piano, played by an elderly gentleman, that looks like it once belonged in a school long gone. A pot on the top of the instrument has a label on it that says "Thank you", a recepticle for any spare change you might want to part with, to show your appreciation for the musician and his rendition of some old tune in the style of Les Dawson.
At the counter you see all of the home made cakes - all at unbelievable prices - and the old tea room kitchenware. Really, the only thing modern here was the till. I felt that I had crossed through a wormhole into an episode of "Goodnight Sweetheart".
I ordered one of the best slices of Coffee and walnut cakes I have ever had and a large coffee. A good slice of cake was served, totally amazing and full of the right amount of sugary cream, chocolate frosting and nice big chunks of walnuts. Pure heaven and all for under three quid. I eyed a scone filled with cream and jam...mmmmm..nah maybe not. After all I knew that the cake would contribute to the post cafe stop lethargy and a cream cake would probably just finish me off.
![]() |
| Generous slice of heaven |
Then the owner - a short Del Boy lookalike adorned with gold chains - approached us as we opened the door.
"Would any of you like a water bottle refill?" he asked
Now that is service for you...
The Return
We left the time bubble and continued on down the hill passed Rivington reservoir. As we entered Blackrod, Nick peeled off for his appointment with his Sunday Roast. It wasn't long before more riders left the Peleton and soon the 10 riders that had started were now five.
![]() |
| Superb cafe |
The return journey was essentially downhill with some crafty hills thrown in for good measure. The craftiest of all being just after Shevington. A true lung busting, leg burning gear cruncher, hidden around a corner under a bridge.. a nasty climb. It took many by surprise but most had ridden it before so had made sure they had got some speed on before they hit it.
We got back to the Swan to find it packed out. The front beer garden was now teeming with people all drinking ice cold beer under a sunny Warrington sky. I don't blame them, today was fantastic and again a club ride that didn't involve rain. And I must say nicely navigated by Anthony
Coming soon
It's the Royal Wedding this week so I will be doing my best to avoid it. There are rumours that there maybe a ride going on. If there is I WILL be on it. Also, pinch punch first of the month next Sunday will be our Long ride. A 70 miler called "The Welsh experience", so I'm guessing that means free prescriptions, lower council tax and hills. Should be nice - if the weather holds out that is.
Here are my ride stats for today.





0 comments:
Post a Comment