Pages

Thursday, 14 April 2011

When bottles attack

As I have a goal this week to get 100 miles in, I took out the bike - with its one remaining bottle cage - up the A49 and down the A559 to Great Budworth.  Here I would ride to Arley Hall and then back into Warrington to get some extra miles.  It was overcast and grey but nice weather for a ride.  There was a little headwind but it wasn't cold.  Quite a few other cyclists were taking advantage of the lighter evenings as well. The ride down the A559 was fast, with some nice little hills and, upon entering the quaint village of  Great Budworth, a nice long hill to climb up. 

Everything was going so well until I entered Warrington.  I arrived at some traffic lights so freewheeled up to them, then removed my half full bottle and took a swig, then replaced the bottle into the cage.  It was at this point that time stood still because the plastic cage snapped apart, sending the bottle into my rear wheel.  Instantly I came to an abrupt halt and did a sort of cool trackstand. 

Great Budworth

I don't know how long I was stationary for, but for the duration of it I was attempting to unclip.  For the amusement of the drivers in their cars behind me I then fell over as the unclipping didn't happen.  Luckily for me onto the grass siding.  After a few seconds of composure I set off again and noticed that the Cadence telemetry wasn't working.  Looks like the bottle had knocked my cadence magnet as it was squeezed between the wheel.

I'm thankful this didn't happen on the A559.  If it had it would have been disastrous. Anyway, I achieved my 100 miles this week, infact I exceeded it by 1 mile...woohooo.  This weekend I shall be away with the GF in the North lakes.  Something to do with us being together for Ten years or something however the best thing is that I will hopefully be taking my bike.


Anyway, here are my stats for my final ride of the week.

1 comments:

Mark's cycling blog said...

Topeak clear plastic bottle cage's hmmm I think you will be recommendation will be to stay well clear of them!?!

Post a Comment