So today I had a raft of things to do. Pack, get travel insurance, pack and book parking for the airport. It also meant no club run. A club run was too long and I had stuff to do - well I had been told anyway , but looking at the weather, which was at this moment gloriously sunny, I had to get out. As I moped around doing my chores I think she took pity on me and I was permitted to do a short ride...ha..permitted. As I kitted up the GF warned me that "The weather man had said that it was going to rain heavily by 11". It was only just gone 9:20 so should be ok. I locked the door and rode up to the A49.
The roads were quiet, the sun was shining and the birds were singing. Wonderful weather for cycling. However, as I climbed up London Road I noticed that, in the distance, things didn't look too rosey. For one thing there was a mist over the distant hills and a wall of cloud that was definitely heading towards Warrington. But it was nowhere near 11 yet and it was still warmish..... I pressed on to Stretton.
![]() |
| Some music event in the middle of nowhere |
The next few miles we peaceful. I passed a handfull of other riders who gave a friendly nod as I passed them. At Antrobus I passed a group of ramblers examining their maps and it was at this point I noticed that the sun had suddenly vanished. As I crossed the A559 a cold wind hit me. In the distance I could see Jodrell bank, with it's large dish pointing to the heavens, however it was slowly fading out of existence. Enveloped by a sort of grey mist. The wall of cloud also appeared closer and when I entered Comberbach I felt a spot of rain.
I met two riders from Warrington road club on the climb up into Great Budworth.
"Looks like it's going to lash it down in a bit, we're off home" said one.
Famous last words really because as we all rounded the corner it started to rain. Only lightly at first but it was rain nevertheless. In the distance Jodrell bank was now gone, the power lines that I could see earlier were now also gone. There was a grey curtain approaching fast and by the time I reached Arley hall it had reached me.
Drops dripped off my helment as I pressed on up Arley road and back down to Appleton. And bloody hell was it cold. The dry road quickly became wet and I could fee the spray up my back. I got home and put on a pot of coffee. Cold and wet I stashed the bike in the hall and took off my soaked kit. To be honest the rain wasn't that bad, but at speed I got wet.
The worst thing was that I also found the other half had eaten my chocloate biscuits. Damn her.
Tomorrow is holiday time...boy am I looking forward to it..
Here are my ride stats


1 comments:
You are a much braver man than me Adam, I dived back into bed at the mere hint of rain today...
Enjoy your jolly hols, cya on a bike ride soon
Mark
Post a Comment