Today I got up, got dressed into my winter cycling garb and taking my hybrid, I cycled in for the first time in over five weeks. To my surprise, all of the indulgments over the Christmas period had had little effect on my fitness levels. I'm guessing this is all thanks to the sessions on the turbo over the holiday. I got to work in just under 25 minutes which was 1 minute slower that I usually take. Although I did take the shorter route (5 miles) due to my longer route (7.5 miles) potentially being iced over. It was damn cold though and very windy. The short route takes me past Walton hall and into Moore closely following the Bridgewater canal all the way to Daresbury. There was a nasty chilly headwind for the majority of the ride together with the usual half asleep motorists. And after 4.5 miles I encountered my old friend Delph Lane Hill.
 |
| Hill of Hell? |
This hill is legendary around my company. Runners and cyclists all agree that it is a hill of hell and is a test ot stamina and resolve. To be honest it's not really that steep but a long climb coupled with a false summit makes for a nice challenge in the morning. I got into work feeling refreshed albeit sweaty.
I was having so many issues with getting back on the bike and today I feel I've kicked off my love for the bike again. Also today I put my name down for a cycling weekend to Llanberis in February. A few guys from the
Weaver Valley Cycle Club are organising the ride from Winsford to Llanberis and back. A round-trip of about 200 miles. Kris, my cycling buddy and collegue suggested it and when first asked I did baulk at the idea, however after todays first foray back into my bike commuting I decided to put my name down. I feel good about it and I have 5 weeks to get back into some form of cycling training. Should be a good precursor to the Cheshire Cat in March. I just hope the snow and ice hold off so I can get some decent miles in.
So, here is a list of rides I'll be doing this year.
Llanberis ride- 200 miles - February 26-27 (Entered)
Cheshire Cat 2010 - 100 Miles - March 27 (Entered)
Macclesfield Bikeathon - 57 Miles - If it's on !!
Manchester 100 - 100 miles - September.
So far so good. Tomorrow I'm going to have to take the car due to a work trip to Manchester to see Tron Legacy at the IMAX. Should be good.
0 comments:
Post a Comment