Pages

Monday, 10 January 2011

It's Goodbye 2010 and Hello 2011...

Welcome to my blog. 

Yes, I can hear you sighing now as you reach for the back button.  Another blog about cycling...boring. It probably is, however what you are reading here is not just a cycling blog but a blog about the adventure of life.  It'll cover my daily commute (riveting), my road cycling and the quest to get better (even more riveting) and also anything else.

"Why the Lazy Commuter"?

Well, this morning I had the good intention of getting on my bike.  I got up, looked out of the window, saw the rain and decided instead to have 30 minutes more in bed. Not good, infact the Girlfriend told me via text that I was a lazy twat. I may be a twat but I'm really not that lazy, I just lack motivation.  Together with the lashings of real ale, sweets and mince pies over the Christmas period coupled with endless mind numbing sessions in the kitchen on the turbo trainer, my love of cycling had shriveled up like an eskimos cock in a snow storm.  So I decided to start this blog up.  To help me get my motivation back and to entertain all those who accidently come here.


Looking Back.

It's usual to start a new year with a retrospective of the last 12 months, looking at "What went wrong" and "What could I have done better".  It's also tradition to start compiling a list of New years resolutions based on shortcomings and mistakes made previously, promises broken and aspirations never realised. However as we all know, these are just empty lists that never ever get completed and are always rolled over to the next year ad infinitum...

This year I haven't made any such lists and looking back, I really can't recall anything that went wrong or which I could have done better.  Infact, for me, 2010 was a fantastic year. It's true there were times that did worry me. Such as when the Euro, together with the whole European economy, and shortly after it, the UK, could have tumbled  into the abyss, taking with it my entire portfolio of investments, my job and everything else.  Thankfully that didn't happen. 

Last year was a year of achievement.  One of the highlights has to be the 95 mile hike around the Llyn Peninsular that the Girlfriend and I undertook back in August. Basically a week long camping holiday, coupled with endless walking,  following the ancient coastal path and taking in some stunning scenery.  Each day consited of walking around 18 miles from campsite to campsite.  Great fun.

Most of my cycling in 2009 was undertaken on my Cannondale Bad boy 650 hybrid.  I rode the  Transpennine trail from Southport Didsbury many times and completed the Manchester 100 mile ride on it in September 2009 and really suffered. Early in 2010 I decided to buy a road bike.  Since then I've ridden 3 charity rides on it, these being the 52 mile Macclesfield Bikeathon, the 60 mile Manchester to Blackpool ride and again the enjoyable Manchester 100 miler which I managed to complete in 5 hours 28. I've also ridden many many miles throughout the year.   Going from a hybrid to a road bike was like moving from a mini metro to a porsche. Faster, lighter and easier to do more miles on.  However that did result in me swapping my commuting gear for lycra.

I also decided to join a cycling club.  There are quite a few of them around Warrington.  I had the pleasure of riding with two to try them out. One of which was the Weaver Valley Cycle Club.  Some great guys and the club which my cycling buddy joined up with.  However I was looking at something a bit closer to home so decided to join the North Cheshire Clarion.   Both clubs have some really nice people and they both make you feel welcome.  As I found out, riding in a group is a far better way to train and it really helps with motivation.  I'd recommend checking both clubs out if you are looking to join one.

2011

As I said earlier, this year isn't going to be a year of resolutions, it's going to be a year of defined goals.  One of which is the Cheshire cat 100 mile sportive in March and which looks to be a real corker of a ride.  And also more Commuting by bike instead of car.


I just need to get my arse into gear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment